Boost offers a wide range of mobile phones and enticing plans thus attracting new customers each day. However, boost mobile devices are locked to Boost carrier thus denying you the freedom to switch to another carrier. It is very devastating having spent a fortune to have your favorite smartphone, yet you cannot use it freely because it is ‘’locked.” Follow this article to learn more on how to unlock a boost mobile phone yourself and much more.
- Unlocking a Boost Mobile device is straightforward if you meet all the eligibility requirements.
- You will have to contact customer service for you to unlock Boost Mobile device.
- Once your Boost Mobile Phone is unlocked you are free to use a sim card from any compatible carrier.
- Can I Unlock My Phone Myself for Free?
- What’s The Requirements of Unlocking a Boost Mobile?
- Benefits Of Unlocking a Boost Mobile Phone
- How To Unlock a Boost Mobile Phone Yourself?
- How Do I Know If My Boost Phone Is Unlocked?
- How Much Does It Cost to Unlock a Boost Mobile Phone?
Can I Unlock My Phone Myself for Free?
Unless you intentionally bought your boost mobile device unlocked, they are all sold locked to their carrier hence you cannot use them with any network provider unless they are unlocked. However, you need to know whether your phone is eligible for unlocking as we are going to see later in this article.
If you are a current Boost mobile customer and you meet all the requirements, Boost Mobile has the mandate to unlock your mobile phone for free. You only must contact Boost Mobile customer care and follow the instructions.
But if you bought your Boost mobile device from a third party or are a former customer, the process of unlocking is a bit different and complicated, and you might end up paying a fee. Also, if you are not eligible by their terms and you still want to unlock your phone, you will have to get it done via a third party and it is not going to be free.
What’s The Requirements of Unlocking a Boost Mobile?
Boost Mobile has an extremely simple unlocking policy for current customers. You are only required to fulfill a few eligibility conditions then reach out to Boost Mobile Customer Service for instructions to unlock. Note that, any Boost mobile devices whose owner has activated on another carrier’s network, attempted to reprogram, or interfered with its settings or original programming may not be reconnected with Boost Mobile Services. Your Boost Mobile device will be unlocked if you meet the following requirements:
- The Boost mobile device must be Domestic SIM Unlocking (DSU) enabled. Mobile Phones that are not ‘’DSU’’ enabled can only work with Boost Mobile. All phones manufactured after February 2015 are DSU enabled.
- Boost Mobile will only unlock phones certified to operate with Boost Mobile Services.
- The phone must not be reported as stolen, lost, deactivated, or identified as unqualified to be unlocked.
- The phone to be unlocked must be operative on the Boost mobile network for not less than 12 months.
- The Boost account for the phone to be unlocked must not have a bad rating with outstanding payments.
Boost mobile deeply recognizes the services offered by military personnel both overseas and at home. In appreciation, Boost Mobile has put in place favorable unlocking requirements for them as seen below:
- The individual seeking to unlock services must be authenticated and a current Boost mobile customer.
- Their Boost account must be in good standing.
- The military personnel must have been issued with overseas deployment papers.
- The military personnel must be an active member of a branch of the United States Military with family members on the same account as the military personnel.
- The phone is capable of international sim unlock.
Boost Mobile is likely to put on hold any petition that would lead to exploitation of the above requirements or engages to defraud Boost Mobile customers or Boost mobile itself. The requirements can change without prior notice.
Benefits Of Unlocking a Boost Mobile Phone
- The most important thing about unlocking your Boost Mobile device is that you are no longer depending on one carrier. You are free to switch to every network compatible with your Boost mobile device.
- When your phone is unlocked, you do not have to buy another phone anytime you are traveling abroad. You will only be required to purchase a local sim card from your destination country.
- An unlocked phone acts as a backup device when your main phone is not working or when another person needs to use the phone for some days.
- Selling an unlocked phone is easy since it is compatible with many carriers unlike when you are selling a locked phone, you must look for a buyer using Boost mobile network.
How To Unlock a Boost Mobile Phone Yourself?
Before you unlock Boost, mobile device notes that not all network carriers will allow you to use the phone on their network. Contact Boost customer service to know the network that is compatible with your mobile phone. Boost Mobile utilizes a CDMA mobile technology. Therefore, a Boost mobile device is compatible with sim cards from a CDMA carrier like Verizon, US cellular, and many more after unlocking.
However, an unlocked Boost mobile device is incompatible with GSM network providers like AT & T. Contact Boost customer service or visit their website to know the network that is compatible with your mobile phone. Below are a few ways on how to unlock a boost mobile phone yourself.
Solution 1: How to Unlock a Boost Mobile Phone Yourself Using with Carrier
The first and the best option is to go to the Carrier. If you meet all the eligibility requirements we have discussed above, it will be free. Former customers and non-customers may be charged. You can visit a Boost Mobile branch near you or follow below steps:
- Step 1: Reach out to Boost Mobile customer service through 1-833-50-BOOST (833-502-6678).
- Step 2: Provide all the information required and ask for a carrier unlock code.
- Step 3: Input the code with which you are provided.
If you are on the ”BootUP” installment plan, the entire process should be complete within a day but if not, the process may take up to 2 business days. During the unlocking process ensure that:
- Your SIM card is on the phone. Switching the SIM card may abort the process.
- Your mobile phone is switched on and connected to a stable WiFi network or the Boost Mobile network throughout the process.
You can as well unlock a Boost Mobile device you acquired from a third party. You will require an account number or Boost Mobile device number. If you do not have those requirements, you will have to reach out to the individual you acquired the phone from to get that information from them. If you do not have any of these things, your Boost phone will not be unlocked, and you will have to use it for a fixed period before trying to unlock it again.
To avoid all this, ensure that you confirm with Boost mobile before purchasing a Boost phone from a third party. You will be informed whether the phone is already unlocked or is eligible for unlocking.
Solution 2: How to Unlock a Boost Mobile Phone Yourself Using a Third-Party Tool
If you do not meet the eligibility requirements yet you have an urgent need like traveling abroad, you have a choice to use third-party tools to help you unlock your Boost Mobile device. The internet is full of websites that sell network unlock codes. Pick the one that suits you. A third-party tool is a perfect tool for you as it will assist you in getting a new carrier within 24 hours. Some will offer the service for free while others will do it at a fee.
Look for reviews and recommendations from family and friends. Ensure that the site you choose can refund your money in case the code they provide does not work.
How Do I Know If My Boost Phone Is Unlocked?
If you are not sure whether your Boost Mobile device has been unlocked, below are steps to help you:
- Take out the Boost sim card that is inserted in your Boost Mobile device now.
- Interchange the sim card with one from a different carrier to see whether it will be accepted by your Boost Mobile device or not.
- If the new carrier sim card is accepted, then you have successfully unlocked your Boost Mobile device.
How Much Does It Cost to Unlock a Boost Mobile Phone?
If you meet all the eligibility requirements, you stand a chance to enjoy a free Boost Mobile unlock but if you are not eligible you will have to use a third-party tool to unlock your Boost mobile at a fee. Depending on the manufacturer of your phone, the carrier you are using, and the state you are in, expect to spend an average amount of $30. If it is not urgent, you can still wait until you are eligible for a Boost Mobile device unlock.
If you already have a Boost mobile device, now you have every detail on how to unlock a boost mobile phone yourself from contacting Boost mobile customer service to using third-party tools. An unlocked phone is way more beneficial compared to a locked phone. Furthermore, an unlocked phone does not mean the end of a warranty or customer benefits.