An Android charger could stop working for a lot of different reasons. One of these reasons might be due to the bending of its tip or prongs. A bent Android charger cannot be used to charge a phone, as it is a safety risk, and sometimes, it causes the charger to stop working completely altogether. Knowing how to fix a bent Android charger will help eliminate the safety risk and get the phone charger up and working again.
Fixing a bent Android charger is pretty easy and can be done by any individual. However, serious cases can only be handled by professionals. Even if buying a new charger is more advisable because of how cheap it is, knowing how to fix a bent charger will come in handy in cases of emergency.
- Using a bent Android charger is not safe as it poses safety risks such as electric shocks and fire.
- Knowing how to prevent a charger from getting bent is better than learning how to fix a bent charger.
- A bent charger prong can be fixed using a plier.
Is It Safe to Use a Bent Charger?
Because of how important phone chargers are, people are willing to use it on their phones even when it is in a bad condition. It is not safe to use a bent charger on a phone as it can put both the phone and the user at grave risk. Some of the consequences of using a bent charger include;
- It can lead to electric shocks.
- A bent charger can lead to a user having to hold a phone in a certain way for it to charge. This can lead to damage to the charging cable. A damaged charging cable can overheat during charging and lead to a fire.
Why Does My Charger Keep Bending?
The major reason why most chargers get bent or even break is due to careless handling. One of the major situations responsible for the bending of a charger is accidentally dropping the phone while a charger is plugged in. This situation can result in both the bending of the prongs and also the tip. Some others become bent when they are chewed by a pet or left in the hands of a small child. It all boils down to carelessness and negligence.
Knowing how to keep an Android charger from bending is more important than knowing how to fix a bent Android charger. The best way to prevent a charger from bending is by careful handling. For example, after use, the charger should be carefully removed from the socket. This should be done by pulling the hard plastic connector and not the cable. Pulling the cable can result in bending of the charger prongs.
Also, using protective materials on the charger can help prevent bending of the cables. Materials like cable protectors do not just give chargers a beautiful look, they also help protect them from bending. Using two cable protectors per cable will go a long way in helping the charger cables retain their structural integrity. Also, having a protective case for chargers will help prevent bending.
What Are the Problems if My Charger Is Bent?
Apart from the danger of electrocution or starting a fire, another problem caused by a charger being bent is the fact that it can lead to more cost. When a bent prong is plugged into an outlet, it doesn’t fit most of the time. The user will have to bend it to make it fit. Doing this can cause the prong to break inside the outlet. This means that the outlet will have to be replaced.
Also, a bent tip will need to be forced into the charger port of the phone. This can destroy the phone’s charger port, incurring more costs. When a charger gets bent, either of three things is advised;
- Finding alternative charging options.
- Fixing the charger before reusing.
- Buying a new charger.
Alternative charging options
In cases where a charger is bent, and there is an urgent need to charge the phone safely, there are several options available to the user. These options can be used until the user can fix the bent charger or purchase a new charger. These charging options are;
- Charging on a computer using a USB data cable. Phones can be charged on a computer using a USB data cable. Here, the phone is actually sucking from the computer’s power. It helps phones regain power in cases of emergency. A major drawback is that it charges at a really slow pace and it can kill the computer’s battery.
- Charge using cell boost. Cell Boosts are disposable chargers that help to keep phones and other devices charged in the absence of a wall outlet or regular charger. Cell Boosts are strictly for emergencies as they cannot charge a phone for long.
How to Fix a Bent Android Charger?
Fixing a bent charger prong is very easy.
- The first thing to do is to check the prong, to observe the direction it is bending towards. This will help in knowing the direction that the bent charger should be straightened to.
- After observing the prong, use a plier to carefully apply pressure on the prong taking it towards the normal direction. This should be kept up carefully until the prong looks normal again.
- After carrying out the above instructions, the charger should be ready for use again.
Fixing a bent tip is much easier than fixing a bent prong. It can be done with the bare hands by placing the thumb and the index fingers on opposite sides of the bent tip. After placing the fingers, the tip is carefully pressured towards the right direction till it becomes straight again. After straightening, the charger can be used again. Severe cases should be taken to professionals for repairs, or better still, a new charger should be bought.
Chargers are one of the most necessary accessories on phones. And because of how necessary they are, people don’t mind using them even when they are bent, or in other bad conditions, ignoring the hazards involved. Knowing how to fix a bent Android charger will help protect users from electrocution, fire, and other hazards that may be caused by bent chargers. It is also a good DIY (Do it yourself) activity.
Read Also: IP Webcam for Pc